Job Title: Chef
Responsible to: TBA
Location: based on requirements
Hours/days: Full Time- Monday-Friday- 40 hours per week (hours as required to meet the needs of the business)
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive culture that embeds the Unit’s values, and ensures that students and staff feel valued, safe and supported.
- Presenting a positive, “can do” attitude working as part of a team and taking personal responsibility for own actions.
- Committed to a culture of continuous improvement and ensuring that own contribution to the role and the Team is of the highest standard.
- Represent Radish positively and effectively in dealings with external parties
- Take responsibility for own continuing professional development as agreed in the appraisal process.
- Responsible for taking all appropriate measures to safeguard young people and promote their welfare.
- Deputise for The Catering Manager as and when required.
- Responsible for the preparation, cooking and presentation of foods to a high specification, taking into consideration any customers with dietary requirements. Maintaining high levels of hygiene and cleanliness by working within Health & Safety & Food legislation guidelines.
- To ensure that methods of food preparation, food production and presentation comply to company standards.
- Completion of Catering Contractor’s daily food and equipment records.
- To ensure sufficient food supplies throughout the service period. In the absence of the Catering Manager place any food orders.
- To ensure all catering staff follows the food labelling procedure.
- Control and accurately report food production and wastage.
- Supervise at meal times and if required serve on the food counter. Performing customer care to the highest standard.
- Supervise & delegate staff duties as required by the shift.
- Coach & encourage staff that are given different tasks to complete, where applicable guide students that are completing work experience within the department.
- Take delivery of food stock, ensuring that goods meet company standard, assist in maintaining and accurate recording of stock levels and stock rotation.
- Assist with the provision of hospitality.
- Ensure that equipment is used appropriately and report all defects to the Catering Manager.
- To ensure the kitchen & dining rooms are clean & tidy and that the cleaning schedule is followed and completed correctly.
- Maintain high levels of personal hygiene and Jewellery policy & monitor that other members of the team follow suit.
- Comply with college policies and procedures.
- Attend all relevant training sessions as required.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties requested by line manager.
You will demonstrate, amongst other things, your ability in the following:
- City and Guilds 706/1 and 2 or NVQ equivalent
- Minimum Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
Skills & Abilities:
- An effective communicator with robust interpersonal communication skills at all levels.
- Able to plan and prioritise workload to ensure objectives are achieved within given timeframe.
- Able to identify problems and make decisions, taking appropriate action to resolve.
- Able to attain an accurate and consistent standard of service and customer satisfaction.
- Able to work on own initiative and positively as a team member.
- Computer literate with the ability to effectively use Microsoft Office packages.
- Communicates well both in writing and verbally.
- Work alone and as part of a small or large team.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Appreciates that projects need to be completed.
- Methodical approach with an ability to work under pressure.
- Uses judgement to know when to ask for help and guidance.
- Uses own initiative and can work independently.
- Takes responsibility for own work.
- Proficient use of all Microsoft programmes.
- Excellent Organisational skills.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Understands and implements processes.
- Good level of numeracy.
- Excellent levels of grammar.
- Makes good use of the opportunities to develop within the role.
- Builds appropriate professional, friendly and accessible relationships with employees and line managers.
- Resilient and able to work in an organisation that is undergoing change due to development and growth.
- Can “keep up” and excel within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates initiative and influences change.
- Demonstrates an “investigative” and “can do” approach and attitude to all tasks.
- A Team player.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Effective and efficient Time management of self and duties.
- Full DBS Clearance.
- Previous Catering Experience.